You’re probably all familiar with zucchini noodles and pesto, but I bet you haven’t tried avocado with it! A friend of mine introduced me to this idea (with pasta not zucchini noodles) and I loved it. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of adding avocado earlier and as you can see from my Instagram, I have had it a lot.
I remember the first time I ever tried zucchini noodles; I had seen a lot of people on Instagram making them and I took the plunge and bought a spiralizer. They have a fantastic texture and are like pasta in the sense that they take on the flavor of whatever sauce you add to it.
This is a really easy and healthy lunch or dinner that literally only takes about 20-30 minutes to cook. It’s a great low carb choice and the healthy fats from the avocado and pesto (which normally has a nut and olive oil) which will keep you full and satisfied for hours. I normally like to grill some chicken on a cast iron grill to add some extra protein.
Avocado Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
- 3 medium zucchinis (courgettes for my Brits)
- 1 ripe avocado
- Cashew Pesto or store bought pesto
- 1 chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Optional: Parmesan
- First, get your zucchinis out and chop out the ends. Attach to your spiralizer to turn them into noodles.
- Put the zucchini noodles aside.
- Mix your pesto (anywhere from 5-9 tbsp) in with the avocado - mash them together and put them aside.
- Flatten the chicken breast with a meat hammer and season both sides with some salt, pepper and paprika.
- Put a little bit of olive oil in the pan and grill the chicken for approximately 6 minutes per side or until the chicken breast reads 165 farenheit, if you have a meat thermometer.
- Put the chicken aside and dice them after about 5 minutes.
- Put the zucchini noodles in a big pan with some olive oil.
- Cook the noodles until they are soft (about 5-7 minutes) and then add the pesto avocado mix and the diced chicken.
- Cook for another few minutes and then serve with some parmesan sprinkled on top.
- You will need a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles.
This has become a weekly staple for me and my husband – we both LOVE it and it’s guaranteed to satisfy your family and friends too. Let me know what you think about this recipe if you do try it 🙂