Wow, well that went by fast; it is already May and I have completed the first 4 weeks of BBG 2.0 (Kayla Itsines second bikini body guide)! I wanted to share with you all my thoughts regarding BBG 2.0 and to update you all on what’s happening with me in terms of health and fitness.
The First 4 Weeks of BBG 2.0
How Does BBG 2.0 Differ From BBG 1.0?
There is quite a significant difference. Of course, the format is the same typical Kayla style of two circuits with four exercise moves each, with the circuits done a total of four times. However, the weights get increased in the BBG 2.0 and there are a lot more static movements and less jumping around (or flailing around like I do, haha!). For example, you do moves like weighted barbell squats, arm raises, weighted sit-ups and etc. There were also slight modifications to moves seen in BBG 1.0 such as jump squats … buuuut with double pulses at the bottom (it burns, oh how it burns). Of course, there are moves that have been introduced in BBG 1.0 such as walking lunges, push ups and snap jumps.
Do I Like BBG 2.0?
So far, yes I do! Well, okay let me back up a bit. I definitely have a love-hate relationship going on with the BBG 2.0. I love that there are more weighted exercises yet I am still sweating like mad, yet I hate that it is still so hard haha! But I know it is good that it’s hard because it is still challenging me … but I hate it … because it is hard. LOL. Does that makes sense, and someone please tell me they feel the same way?
Am I Doing Anything Differently in BBG 2.0?
Yeah, like I said, the weights increase so I am using heavier weights. I also decided to challenge myself by doing military style pushups, where I keep my arms much closer to my sides and ensure my elbows bend backwards and not outwards (form is so important). This tiny little adjustment has literally made me a beginner again, and I am back to doing push ups on my knees. Try it and you’ll see what I mean; it is SO much harder but it engages my core more and is working different arm muscles. It is critical we keep challenging ourselves and pushing our bodies to the max if we want to see change.
An example of some yummy foods I have been eating these past 4 weeks!
Let’s See What The Next 8 Weeks Are Like …
So, I am currently on week 17 and ughhh, I was completely caught off guard with the elevated intensity of the workouts. How does Kayla keep doing this?! I will do another update on weeks 17-20 in 4 weeks time and let you all know how it went (unless I have suffered #deathbyKayla). For now, I want to set some goals for myself to keep myself motivated and accountable
- Start using Kayla’s HELP guide more strictly again. Although I have enjoyed experimenting and adjusting my macros; the HELP guide was the most balanced way for me to go about my nutrition.
- Focus on slowly increasing the MPH I do sprints. Yesterday, I did sprints for HIIT and my speed was 9.0MPH for about 10-12 minutes and I upped it to 9.2MPH for the remainder of the 3-5 minutes.
- Strengthen my lower back by doing lower back extensions. This has helped a lot in keeping my back straight during pushups.
- Start practicing pull ups again! The second I move to Salt Lake City, I am buying a pull up bar and getting back into it.
- Do not plan cheat meals. I have found that if I have an unplanned cheat meal (because life happens), I get into this very negative state of mind which is not healthy at all. Instead of planning cheat meals, I should just let them happen based upon the context. It makes SO much more sense to have a cheat meal because you are out with friends as opposed to being home alone on a Saturday night.
That’s all folks! I hope you found this mini-review of BBG 2.0 helpful and I look forward to posting another one in a few weeks. I can tell that I am definitely leaning down slowly but surely and I am excited to see how much stronger I get in the next few weeks. It is NOT EASY, but it is worth it being able to look like a bad a** in the gym hehe 😉