Before I launch into this post, I just want to put out a little disclaimer: the following foods and drinks are what I have personally found to work best in helping me bounce back to my healthy self again. I am not a medical doctor and these are just recommendations based on my opinion and experience 🙂
The Best Foods And Drinks If You Are Sick
Therefore, let’s dive into what I think are the best foods and drinks if you are sick!
1. Chicken noodle soup is an oldie but a goodie. The broth is said to contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help prevent the side effects of a cold.
2. Bananas are really calming for your stomach if you have a stomach virus or are feeling sick and nauseous.
3. Oatmeal; I find oatmeal to be really soothing and comforting if I am confined to my bed and feeling horrid. Plus, oatmeal has plenty of complex carbohydrates which will keep your energy levels high.
4. Avocado is said to be really good if you are experiencing lots of aches and pains because it contains magnesium. It is also an easy to eat food if you are having trouble getting down any solid foods.
5. High fiber crackers are great for if you are constipated (come on, it happens to the best of us), but avoid them if you have an illness which makes it hard for you to digest foods.
6. Dates; when I am sick, I struggle to eat enough foods for fear of throwing up or making my stomach feel worse. I love having dates because they are really sweet and provide a lot of energy.
1. Green tea with honey and lemon. Green tea has so many health benefits (click here and here to learn more), as do honey and lemon. Honey is anti-bacterial and calming if you have a sore throat, and lemon helps to calm down an upset stomach and also contains vitamin C.
2. Freshly squeezed orange juice with ginger. I don’t know why (could be placebo effect), but this combination always makes me feel better. Could be because of the strong taste of ginger … I really don’t know but it works for me!
3. Green juice, because it is easy to digest (great for a body desperately using all it’s energy to fight off a sickness) and is full of vitamins and minerals.
4. Any herbal tea with honey and lemon (same as #1).
5. Kombucha; kombucha can be great for helping an upset tummy. When I was younger, I would drink coke or sprite when my tummy felt unsettled because the carbonation helped a lot. Kombucha is a much better and lower in sugar alternative which also contains probiotics.
6. WATER! This will always be the king of liquids and nothing beats it. Drink tons of water to flush out anything nasty that is in your system and to keep you hydrated.
… And A Tip
If you feel the start of a cold coming on, you might want to invest in zinc lozenges. This systematic review states that there is strong evidence that zinc can shorten how long you have a cold for. Worth a try, right?! Also, I always tend to reach for chocolate when I am sick hehe (not recommended, but oh so good).
What foods or drinks do you gravitate towards when you are feeling sick?