Firstly, apologies for being terrible with posts the past few weeks .. I may not be as regular as I was until this semester is over because the work is just piling up. Plus I had my friend over from England so I have wanted to spend as much time with her as I can before I leave! I hope my raw ice cream cake recipe makes up for my disappearance.
Raw ice cream cake
I have been wanting to share with recipe with all of you for a while now. The inspiration came from my desire to make a raw cake (although my version has peanut butter which is not 100% raw since it is heated, but it is considered raw when not heated) and my love for my healthified ice-cream recipe. Although this is not exactly a ‘guilt-free’ dessert it is much healthier and miles more nutritious than any store bought ice-cream cake. My ice-cream cake is packed full of healthy fats, and some protein and carbohydrates. It is also refined sugar free and vegan friendly 🙂 It can also be made gluten-free by subbing rolled oats with gluten free rolled oats.
- For the crust
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup softened dates
- 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinammon
- 2-4 tbsp peanut butter (the peanut butter taste is quite strong so adjust it to your liking)
- For the cake
- 5-10 sliced and FROZEN bananas (10 bananas if you want to make an enormous cake)
- 2-5 tbsp natural creamy peanut butter (makes the consistency smoother)
- 3-6 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (again, adjust it to your liking)
- 1. Alright, so first we want to prepare the crust. Put the oats, dates and cashews into the blender first and blend until you get a sand-like consistency.
- 2. Then put in the rest of the crust ingredients and blend until you get a dough like texture. Shape the dough into your cake pan, or another circular object and let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours.
- 3. After you have completed the crust, you can now make the ice-cream to put onto it! Blend your bananas with the cocoa powder and then scoop out on top of the crust. This stage takes quite a while because most blenders and food processors do not have room for this many bananas lol.
- Does not freeze well and is best when served immediately after being made.
And there you have it!! A much healthier and nutritious way to make an easy no bake cake crust and healthy ice-cream 🙂 Unfortunately this lovely dessert does not freeze well, as the ice-cream gets a little icy 🙁 I will be experimenting with a way to make a more freezeable healthy ice-cream to try and combat this.
Hope you enjoyed this (late) edition of Friday Fare. Are you going to try this recipe out? Let me know in the comments box below!