This week’s inspiration comes from my good friend Alyssa, a lover of good and healthy food. She gave me the idea for this salad although I have made a few tweaks which I hope you will enjoy. This is a meatless salad with its protein source coming from the cheese (I give two different options), almonds and pumpkin seeds. You can always add some lean protein such as grilled chicken, beef, shrimp or fish to make the salad a little heartier, although in all fairness it is pretty hearty as it is because of the nuts, seeds and cheese! I added shrimp to mine though … surprise, surprise 🙂
Enjoying a twelve essentials ‘Suja Juice’ drink with my salad for the greenest of all meals!
- For the salad
- 2 cups (or more) spinach
- 1 medium - sliced asian pears
- 1-2 tbsp - almond slices
- 1-2 tbsp - feta cheese crumbles (personally blue cheese is a my fave cheese on salad but it's pretty high in sodium so it is not something to have daily)
- 1-2 tbsp - pumpkin seeds
- For the homemade dressing
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp - dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp - olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Grated lemon zest - 1 lemon
- 1 tsp - black Pepper
- 1. First, let us start by making the dressing. Combine all of the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl and use mix all the ingredients together. You could also use a food processor to do this as well.
- 2. Set aside your yummy dressing. Get a plate or salad bowl and put the spinach leaves in it, and then pour some of your dressing into the plate or bowl. Toss the spinach and the salad dressing so that your spinach leaves are nice and .. well, dressed!
- 3. Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss them all together.
- 4. Eat and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this edition of Friday Fare, and if you share it on instagram or twitter, please hashtag #fridayfare and tag me in your photo’s so I can see your lovely re-creations! Do you have any requests for future editions of Friday Fare? I am always open to suggestions because I want to make sure I am tailoring my posts towards what YOU want 🙂