Ooh, baby, this drink is perfect–no exaggeration. With hints of sweet roselle in a creamsicle tasting orange and vanilla bean agua fresca, you’ll be making this drink all year.
Orange and Vanilla Bean Agua Fresca with Roselle Syrup
Agua fresca is Spanish for “fresh water.” Agua frescas are popular drinks in Mexico which are made from fruits, flowers, or seeds which are then blended with sugar to make a deliciously refreshing yet non-alcoholic beverage. I really like infused waters and agua frescas are the next step in flavored waters. The nice thing about making your own agua fresca is that you can control exactly how much sugar goes in your drink (if any at all)! Just remember that a little bit of sugar here and there won’t kill you as long as you are being mindful of the rest of your food and drink intake.
I bet some of you are also wondering what roselle is–good question. Roselle is actually a species of hibiscus and it was readily available throughout Thailand, which was where I grew up. Roselle drinks make me extremely nostalgic for when I was a child, and at the same time, make me feel as if I am back in the tropics. Roselle naturally has a slightly sweet taste and isn’t overpowering like some floral flavors can be. I am so excited for you to try this dreamy drink!
- Orange and Vanilla Bean Agua Fresca
- 3.8 liters of filtered water
- 3 sliced oranges
- 2 vanilla beans split and half seeded
- Roselle Syrup
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup and a Half of Whole Roselle Flowers (or any hibiscus flower works too)
- First, mix all the agua fresca ingredients in a pitcher and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- While the agua fresca is in the fridge, make the roselle syrup.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a pot.
- Thicken to desired consistency and then let cool.
- Layer in a cup by first adding some ice, then add the syrup, some orange slices and finally, the agua fresca!
Please share your re-creations of my agua fresca on your Instagram and then tag me @honestlyfitness! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this drink–I know you will love it 🙂