As you may (or may not know, it’s cool if you don’t lol) I have been working on a yummy dark chocolate chip coconut cookies recipe for this week’s Friday Fare! The inspiration for this recipe honestly came about because I had all the ingredients in my cupboard and I reeeeally was craving cookies .. I love cookies, hehe. These cookies are kind of like a beginner’s guide to taking the healthy step forward – a few people have commented on how even though the recipe’s look great, there are several hard to get or expensive ingredients in them. And I totally understand, not everyone can live near a Whole Food’s with a bulk bin section!! So these cookies have ingredients that should be easy enough for you to get at your local supermarket 🙂
Dark Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
Don’t they look awesome?
I used a combination of oat flour (which you can make your own by just putting some rolled oats in a food processor and whizzing it about for a few seconds) and whole wheat flour, coconut oil and dark chocolate to make a healthier chocolate chip cookie. I really like oat flour because it has quite a lot of fiber and protein in it, and I used whole wheat flour because a) it is super easy to find in supermarkets and b) as opposed to white wheat flour which usually is stripped of all its nutritional goodness, whole wheat flour contains all of the fiber and vitamins that are supposed to be there. Coconut oil makes everything taste better (in my opinion) and contains a lot of healthy fats, and the dark chocolate is there to balance out the sweetness that comes with the brown sugar. Although brown sugar really is not that much healthier than white sugar, it gives a richer flavor and more moistness to the cookie. Like I said, this is a beginner’s guide to healthier cookies!
They are also dairy free as I used Almond Breeze’s almond and coconut milk.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (I used Almond Breeze's almond and coconut milk blend mmm)
- 1/2 cup or 4 squares of 70% dark chocolate pieces (I buy the Lindt kind and break it up into small chunks, you can use a knife to chop them too)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp high quality salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit
- 2. First, mix all of your dry ingredients (MINUS the dark chocolate) and then mix all of your wet ingredients. Now you can fold in the dark chocolate chunks.
- 3. Roll the batter into small balls (should make 12) and then use a spoon to flatten them out on your baking pan.
- 4. Bake the cookies in the oven for 8 minutes and then take out.
- 5. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes and then enjoy!
- The cookies are meant to be a bit more cake-like in taste 🙂
I hope you all enjoyed this edition of Friday Fare. I had a lot of fun making these (and eating way too many in the process) and I hope you have just as much fun as I did. Next week I am thinking of featuring a sweet oatmeal dish but made using an interesting and different process from just boiling the oats or letting them soak overnight … 🙂 Either that or some sort of Thai curry.
If there is ever anything you would like me to make (a breakfast, dessert, salad or etc) then please let me know. I say this every week but I truly love hearing from you and appreciate your input and suggestions.
Have a great weekend everyone!!