If you’ve been a reader for a while, you will know that I love pulses, which are the delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans. I’ve made various recipes over the years that included pulses (such as this tasty chickpea burger). 2016 is the International Year of Pulses and it was a no brainer for me to take the Pulse Pledge–and I encourage all of you to sign up too by clicking here.
To celebrate the International Year of the Pulse, and to kickstart the Pulse Pledge, I decided to make a tasty post-workout snack–a peanut butter chocolate chickpea protein bar!
What’s the Deal With Pulses?
Before I dive into the recipe for this one of a kind peanut butter chocolate chickpea protein bar, let’s talk about pulses. I’m sure you’ve all heard about pulses, but do you want to know why they’re so awesome?
- Pulses are packed with protein (this is my favorite benefit, of course). Pulses can contain up to 9 grams of protein per 1/2 cup cooked serving. They’re great for vegetarians, as well as boosting the protein content of a meal.
- They are high in fiber which can keep you fuller for longer. In fact, some nutritionists swear by high-fiber foods as a way to lose weight and to keep the weight off.
- All of the nutrients you can think of are found in pulses–potassium, magnesium, zinc, B vitamins and iron. These nutrients are so important for a well functioning and healthy body.
Nourish Yourself Properly Post-Workout
Because pulses are so protein rich, they make a fantastic post-workout snack. After your workout, your body is depleted of glycogen and and amino acids (essentially the things that make up protein) and so, it is important to replace what you lost during your workout. Making sure to have a post-workout snack with healthy carbohydrates and protein is essential to building muscle and recovering properly.
This peanut butter chocolate chickpea protein bar is a fabulous blend of both healthy carbohydrates, protein and some healthy fats thrown in for good measure! Not only are chickpeas full of protein, they are also full of complex carbohydrates.
To sweeten this protein bar recipe up, I used medjool dates and molasses–molasses are an interesting ingredient and I love them because they give such a strong and rich flavor. Plus, molasses have the lowest sugar content of any sugar cane product in addition to vitamins and minerals such as iron and magnesium (just like our friend, the chickpea).
I know you will come to love this recipe as much as I do–and your body will thank you for it too!
Peanut Butter CHocolate Chickpea Protein BAr
- 1 can of 15oz chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 1 egg
- 3 medjool dates (pitted)
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp almond flour (not meal)
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp chocolate coconut milk (or any type of milk flavored with cocoa)
- 2 scoops chocolate whey protein powder (I used Reserveage)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- Simply blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour into a 8x8 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the pan cool for 10 minutes or so, and then store in your fridge overnight. Trust me, this is what helps give the protein bars a fudgey texture.
- Makes enough for 11-12 small protein bars--eat and enjoy the next day!
Please remember to let me know in the comments below if you make these peanut butter chocolate chickpea protein bars. And don’t be shy; be sure to post a photo to your social media and tag me in them! My name is @honestlyfitness across every social media channel, so no excuses!
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with USA Pulses & Pulse Canada. Thank you for supporting those who support Honestly Fitness!